Neck Lift SurgeryA neck lift plastic surgery is designed to improve the neck’s appearance by eliminating loose skin and making the underlying muscles tighter. The surgeon creates a sleeker and more sculpted neck appearance with neck lift, enabling the patient to appear younger. Vinings Surgery Center, led by board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Robert Colgrove, provides neck lift surgery to patients in Atlanta, Marietta, Georgia, and surrounding communities.
Aesthetic BenefitsIn many cases, it may appear after a neck lift as if the person has lost weight even though it is only a body contouring surgical procedure. When surplus neck skin is eliminated, and underlying muscles are made tauter, it will enhance the jowly appearance to reveal an improved jawline. In case the patient has surplus fatty tissue deposits in the neck area, the surgeon may perform liposuction of the neck in combination with the neck lift to develop a more attractive and sleeker neck appearance. The outcomes can also be more harmonious when a neck lift plastic surgery is performed along with facelift.
Ideal CandidatesPatients over the age of 40 years usually receive neck lift cosmetic surgery because around this time the neck skin usually starts to become saggy. Neck lift surgery candidates will have one or more of the below mentioned attributes:
- Neck skin is damaged because of wind and sun exposure across the years
- Surplus fatty deposits in the neck are creating the appearance of a double chin
- A turkey wattle neck is noticeable as the neck skin is sagging
- Pronounced jowly appearance because of the presence of surplus skin and fat underneath the jaws
- Visible folds, wrinkles, and creases in the neck region
ProcedureIf the candidate needs only minor contouring, the surgeon may suggest only neck liposuction. But if the patient requires a full neck lift, it will involve the following steps:
- The patient receives general or local anesthesia and sedation
- The surgeon will place discreet incisions beneath the chin or behind the ears or both, depending on the surgical technique being utilized
- The platysma muscle will be made tauter, and the surgeon will suture these together to lift the neck
- The surgeon will remove sagging skin and surplus fat tissue
- The skin and tissue that remains will be meticulously repositioned and secured via sutures to develop a smoother neck definition
- The surgeon will close the incisions with sutures, and place temporary drain tubes in the incision sites prior to bandaging the wounds